This book includes a collection of station-based activities to provide students with opportunities to
practice and apply the skills and concepts they learn in class. It contains station activities for each
of the following Common Core Standards for middle school English Language Arts: Reading—
Literature; Reading—Informational Text; Writing; and Language. Speaking and Listening standards
are infused throughout the station activities.
- The Reading activities explore text complexity and comprehension.
- The Writing activities cover specific types of writing, response to reading, and research.
- The Language activities provide practice with English language usage and conventions.
Use these activities in addition to direct instruction lessons or instead of direct instruction in
areas where students grasp the basic concepts but need practice.
- 17 sets of activities, each with 4 separate stations
- Correlated to Common Core state standards
- Teacher support includes discussion guides and answer key
The debriefing discussions after each set of activities provide an important opportunity to help students reflect on their experiences and synthesize their thinking. They also provide an additional opportunity for ongoing, informal assessment to inform instructional planning.