Now in its third edition, this best-seller helps high schoolers boost their comprehension and critical thinking when reading nonfiction.
59 short passages have been selected for Critical Thinking: Readings in Nonfiction, covering a wide range of topics, with provocative titles:
- Inside a Whale's Belly
- The Birth of the Saxophone
- The Unsolved Mystery of the Don
- Do You Believe in Dreams?
...and 55 more.
Each passage is followed by a mix of standardized test-like multiple-choice and open-ended questions. Students are prompted to critique the writers’ assumptions, while developing their own analytical skills.
The 59 passages are grouped in units that target specific critical-thinking skills, such as:
- Citing Evidence to Support a Position or Point of View
- Drawing Valid Conclusions from Data Studied
- Recognizing and Rememebring Key Ideas
Critical Thinking: Readings in Nonfiction also comes in a middle school book .