This simulation is uniquely appropriate for STEM (science, technology, engineering, and mathematics) initiatives. And it’s great fun!
Students will use algebraic thinking, data analysis and the engineering design process to solve problems in real-world settings.
- In Building Math for Common Core State Standards: Stranded!,students are marooned on a desert island, where they must identify their location, build shelter, distill water, and learn how to load and provision small canoes.
- Students will conduct mathematics investigations including
- Using proportional reasoning to calculate actual distance and drawn distance on
a map according to a scale
- Identify corresponding dimension of similar objects.
- Finding the area of an irregular two-dimensional shape using strategies for finding the areas of triangles, rectangles, and parallelograms.
- Calculating the surface area and volume of three-dimensional objects.
- Making and testing conjectures about the relationship between surface area and volume, and dimensions and volume.
- Producing and analyzing line graphs that represent the relationship between two variables.
- Science investigations include:
- Using the relationship speed = distance/time to find one quantity given the other two quantities.
- Analyzing a table of values for patterns
- Generating patterns using symbols
- Building Math was developed through a partnership with the Boston Museum of Science and Tufts University, and successfully piloted in Boston-area schools.
- Each book includes a poster illustrating the engineering design process and a DVD with classroom implementation samples.
- Addresses Common Core standards and ITEA standards for technological literacy
Click here for overview
Also see the other books in this series and the collection:
Building Math for Common Core State Standards: Amazon Mission
Building Math for Common Core State Standards: Everest Trek
Building Math for Common Core State Standards - 3 Book Set